Saturday, March 12, 2011

In Praise of The Greasy Spoon

So a girl's gotta eat right? But what do you do when you have champagne tastes and a beer budget? I'd like to say find an old rich guy, eat well and wait for him to die. But sadly I married for love not money, hence the original dilemma. Many would say learn how to cook already! well cook I do, and sometimes it's even tasty. But me and the hubby work lots and sometimes cooking is far down on life's activity list, so back to the original question beer budget, champagne tastes. Well looking for the tastiest food for the least amount of denarios has become something of a hobby of mine. I like to find the little hole in the wall that will scare your children and serve up some amazing nosh without breaking the budget. In this inaugural food blog I hope to entertain you with my culinary exploits, and heck we'll try out fancy places too, gotta have some fun, life's needs some variety once in awhile.

John's Breakfast & Lunch on Urbanspoon

So first things first, it's a food blog, have to be reviewing some restaurants. My first review is John's Breakfast & Lunch. an unassuming little place in Calgary's NW. on 4th street. Blink and you might miss it. it's got some cheery paint on the walls and pretty simple decor. Service is fast and friendly when we stopped in. The menu features all day breakfast with specials throughout the week, lunch features burgers, sandwiches with some Vietnamese thrown in for the adventurous (who are we kidding, this is Calgary, Vietnamese is only adventurous for your grandma)
Breakfast is what we wanted, breakfast is what we ordered. Two Eggs was the menu item, that's what I got, over easy with bacon, toast, hash browns, juice and some pretty tasty coffee. $6.95 for breakfast, coffee and juice extra. Eggs were done just right, whites were set, yolk still runny enough for dipping the toast. Bacon was crisp not fatty or rock hard. Hash browns were chunky and home made, very tasty.
I was happy with the food, breakfast as it was meant to be. Fresh tasty and how I like it... cheap!
I'm always on the look out for good breakfast spots and John's fit the bill nicely. Give it a go see, I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment